Sunday, November 14, 2010

Customer service? Common courtesy? Anything at all...

It's possible that I may be particularly sensitive to customer service because I work in retail.  But few things annoy me more than somebody in a customer service position who obviously doesn't give a crap about me or my purchase.  That girl ringing my purchase at WalMart who not only doesn't smile, but doesn't even bother to look up at all.  That guy at Menards who is obviously irritated that I have bothered him with a question.  And tonight, my newest example, at which I am particularly peeved:

I have no issue with self-checkers at grocery stores.  In fact, I think they're a genius idea for busy days with lots of people when you only have a few items.  Slip in, slip out, never wait in line.  It's great.  What I do not like is that after a certain time, ONLY self-checks are available.  The first thing I'd like to say is if you can afford to pay some guy to stand in the middle of the self-checks and wait for an "Assistance Needed" beacon, then why don't you  just pay that guy to run a register instead?  Seriously...customer service.  However, I could overlook that issue.  What I cannot overlook is not one, not two, but THREE employees standing around the assistance desk at the self-check area...chatting and complaining about how there's nothing to do on night shifts and it's so boring and drags on and on and on...while I'm scanning and bagging $200 worth of groceries BY MYSELF.  What the hell?  If you have time to stand around and complain about how little there is to do at work, then get off your butt and HELP SOMEONE.  *sigh*  It seems obvious, I think, but apparently not. 

People never cease to amaze me.  Customer service, chivalry, common courtesy...anything at all would be nice.  I don't expect for someone to fawn all over me and tell me how great my purchase is.  I don't need someone to show me around the whole store and tell me all the latest, greatest things.  All I want is someone to look up, smile at least once, not be pissed if I have a question, and give me a hand if I'm obviously struggling.  It doesn't seem like so much to ask.  Perhaps it is.  Meh...oh well...I guess I'll have to get used to it, cuz it doesn't seem to be getting any better. 

And now off to bed...cooking all day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment