Saturday, January 8, 2011

An Indoor Kinda Gal...

So, one week ago today, in a blatant act of insanity tied to unseasonably warm weather, I opened the windows of my apartment for nearly an entire day...for exactly the third time since I moved here a year and a half ago...and the first time was just to get the couch in through the window.  I am still wondering what on earth I was thinking, as I get home from work every day to walk into my apartment and enjoy a prompt and violent allergy attack.  When will these miserable allergens filter out of my house again?!?  Blech. 

I am not an outdoorsy girl...at all.  Aside from the fact that I'm incredibly Irish and sunburn in about 10 minutes, I don't particularly like it when it's too hot, too cold, wet, dirty, buggy, windy, etc, etc, and the fact that I'm astonishingly clumsy (which seems to be a bigger issue for outdoor activities than indoor ones)...I'm also allergic to practically everything under the sun.  Dust, mold, pollen, ragweed, carpet, cats, a wide variety of flowers...you name it, I need a Zyrtec for it.  You say let's go visit the flower gardens at the Bellagio in Vegas, and I say, "What, are you trying to kill me?"  I spent almost a week in a hotel room in Virginia with allergy meds and an inhaler, wheezing and gasping for air, and wondering why the hell we needed to go on a family vacation to Williamsburg with all their damn beautiful gardens.  Hell, I spent the better part of my youth drinking juice boxes, because I was allergic to milk...MILK for pete's sake!  Miserable.  And while I love my Zyrtec and adore Visine for allergies, they can really only do so much.  At some point, there's some sort of diminishing returns thing that happens, and I'm a lost cause for the rest of the day.

This summer, in a similar moment of memory-lapse, I decided to be a good pet parent and take Lucy outside to hang out for a while.  I brought a book out, sat down in the grass with her...and she promptly had an allergy attack...and then so did I.  lol :)  It's good that my dogs share the same weird quirks as me.  So now we all remember to go outside and then come right the hell back in to our temperature-controlled, mostly allergen-free (except when I lose my mind and open the windows) apartment, where we can all be happy without sneezing or watery eyes. 

So yeah...I'm that girl who doesn't like to go outside if she doesn't have to.  And I'm unapologetic about it.  And most people who have witnessed me in the middle of one of my debilitating allergy attacks understand why.  I'll do the laundry.  The house will be spotless.  There will be a five course gourmet meal on the table promptly at six every night.  Just please, oh please...don't ever ask me to do yard work.  lol :)

That's all for tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment