Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Resolutions? Nah...

I'm notoriously atrocious at 1) coming up with New Year's resolutions that I have any intention of following through on to begin with, and 2) even remembering what they were three weeks from now.  In fact, the only resolution I ever kept was the one I made a few years ago to stop making resolutions at New Years, since they seem to always end in irritation and disappointment in my lack of enthusiasm anyway.  That said, this evening I read a friend's post about New Years INTENTIONS, and am feeling inspired to borrow the idea.  While I would like to say "be a more consistent blogger," that would be another one that I have no intention of following through on.  I have finally come to terms with the fact that I blog as much as I legitimately can given how busy I am at work, how much I'm in transit with travel (and thus out of reach of a computer), and whatever else I have going on in my life.  So, although I wish I could say to myself that this year I'm going to make more time to be creative and share it with others, alas...I know it's not true, so I won't.  Here's the ACTUAL list of my New Years Intentions:

1) Read more (I've got a decent start on this, since I'm pretty sure I've read more in the two weeks I've had my Kindle than I did in the entire previous year.  I'm adding a gadget to the side of my page to keep track of what I've read...more for purposes of remembering than tracking.)

2) Actually use the vacation time I earn this year (no promises on whatever rolled over from last year)...and maybe even actually GO somewhere for vacation (a novel idea, I know, but vacationing alone isn't my favorite, and attempting to coordinate my schedule with friends or family is difficult once you're living in grown-up land with jobs and married friends with kids and everyone is busy and you just can't seem to carve out any time.)

3) Continue making strides in paying down debts (those 50 cent drafts are easily $5 a piece by now, at LEAST...8 years later...geez.  But, I have a plan, and it's in action, and we're taking it one billing cycle at a time from there) with the intent to start saving (shocker!) and get a new car (one where the windows seal, the trunk is fully functional, the front dash hasn't bubbled up from dripping condensation from the poorly sealed windows, that doesn't have atrocious cost of ownership, doesn't handle like a boat, gets reasonable gas mileage, has FOUR doors, and isn't cursed to have a ton of bizarro accidents and fender benders with raccoons and people who don't stop for red lights or ambulances...can you tell I'm hung up on this car thing???)

4) Get more sleep (despite that fact that I'm writing this what would seem to be unreasonably late when I have to be at work 8 hours from now...but still...good intentions of doing so.  Perhaps we'll start that one tomorrow!)

5) Make it a point to not get stuck in a rut of work, home, couch, tv, and sleep...go to movies, take myself out to lunch, hit karaoke and the bar more times than I can count on one hand this year...that kinda thing (I swear I used to be fun in college...I vaguely remember it...or at least, I think I do...maybe it was all a dream...work and the real world seems to just sap that energy right out of you.  But "happy" isn't something you just ARE...it's something you choose to be...and I'm happier when I'm taking some time to have a good time now and again, so I'll just have to get off my ass and do so!)

And that should be plenty of intentions for the beginning of a new year and a new decade...we'll see how it goes.  Never hurts to at least throw it out there :)  I would say "more creative posting soon," but it's insane inventory month, followed by Make and Take and a business trip to Minnesota, so we'll see...I'll just go with "more creative posting sometime before March!"  G'night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment