Thursday, November 1, 2012

Asparagus and Ham Casserole....

You can find the original for this recipe at myrecipe.  The picture looked super, and the ingredients list sounded promising, so I decided to give it a go.  Here's the recipe:

Asparagus and Ham Casserole
6 servings - 250 calories each

Ingredients
1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
3 3/4 c. extra broad, uncooked, egg noodles
2 1/2 c. sliced asparagus
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 c. milk
1 c. chicken broth
1 T. butter
3/4 c. diced onion
1 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 c. diced ham
1/4 c. chopped parsley
2 T. grated parmesan
Salt & pepper, to taste



















Directions
Cook pasta 7 minutes in boiling water, add asparagus for 1 minutes, then drain.  Place flour and seasonings in a bowl, and slowly add milk and broth, whisking until combined.  Saute onion in butter until tender, then add milk/flour mixture and cook until thick, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.  Combine sauce, pasta, and ham in a large casserole dish, top with bread crumbs and parmesan, and bake in 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.



















Recipe Recap
This was alright.  It tasted fine, but I think egg noodles were the wrong choice for the pasta...it's not dense enough and doesn't hold up very well.  Also, I think it wound up being way too much asparagus.  I like asparagus, but dang...it was a lot of asparagus for being part of a pasta dish.  It just wasn't particularly well balanced.  It tasted good, but not great, and I don't think I'd bother making it again without some serious tweaking.

1 comment:

  1. Asparagus is my favorite veggie ever; and ham? Well, I could take it or leave it, but this looks like a give-it-a-try-for-sure type of recipe. Thanks for the negative on the egg noodles, though. I'm not really a fan of those. I think I'll try angel hair instead.

    ReplyDelete