Thursday, November 1, 2012

Polenta Lasagna...

Okay, so the last month has been insane...as is probably evident by the fact that I'm finally posting recipes the week before I'm cooking again.  Vacation was awesome, I was back for a week and a half and then I went to Michigan for a few days, and then back for two weeks before the gathering I've been organizing for work.  Aside from that, work's been a whole other level of insanity all on its own.  Plus, I'm ATTEMPTING to have a life, so that has pretty much left me with no time ever.  Soooo yeah...in regards to the recipes this month, I forgot to take a bunch of pictures while I was running around like a lunatic, so I apologize for missing photos in advance.  Also, I'm just including the recipe recap with the actual recipe, since it's so heinously late anyway...seems silly to make an extra post about it.  And now, on with the recipes...first up, polenta lasagna.  I've never cooked with polenta before, but the idea sounded solid.  The original can be found at myrecipes.  My slightly tweaked version can be found below:

Polenta Lasagna
6 servings - 335 calories each



















Ingredients
1 - 26 oz. jar pasta sauce
1 tsp. olive oil
1 c. diced onion
1/2 c. diced red pepper
1 c. hot sausage, cooked and crumbled
1 c. chopped mushrooms
1/2 c. diced zucchini
1 minced garlic cloves
1 - 16 oz. tube polenta, cut into 18 slices
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella



















Directions
Saute onion and bell pepper until tender.  Add mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, and sausage until mushrooms are tender.  Spread a 1/2 c. pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x9 pan.  Top with 9 slices of polenta.  Top with half of the sauteed vegetables/sausage mixture and 1/4 c. cheese.  Repeat layers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes...uncover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly.  Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving. 



















Recipe Recap
In a month that was somewhat lacking in success rates for new recipes, this one was actually really good.  The polenta was a really nice touch...I really didn't miss the pasta/lasagna noodles at all.  The original recipe called for turkey sausage or some such nonsense...I'm glad I went with the hot sausage though....I think it might've been a little bland without it.  All\in all, it's a keeper, and I'll make it again at some point :)

No comments:

Post a Comment