Monday, August 23, 2010

Art projects...

Okay, so I didn't make anything tonight, but as I'm beginning to start on a new little art project (a letterblock printer's tray from 7Gypsies), I'm reminded of art projects past.  I'll apologize in advance for the pics...they're not of any real quality, but I took them on my phone in the poor lighting situation that is my apartment.  Anyway, you'll get the idea.  So, being flat broke upon moving into most of my apartments, and then moving in with a (now ex)-boyfriend who didn't believe in spending money on art, I had to find creative ways to make apartment white walls look not so miserably impersonal.  These are a few of my favorite things:

For the base:
- Ultra cheap frames from Ikea and Walmart
- Frames that have layers (i.e. multiple pictures sit in the same box frame at different depths...usually at Target)
- Basic shadow boxes
- Collage frames (usually a large selection at Kohls)

For images
- Greeting cards with interesting pictures on the front
*Bonus:  If you're trying to use a lot of pictures from an event like a birthday or bachelorette party, you can get a card to tie them all together and make a statement
- Giant coffee table books on mega discount at Borders or Barnes and Noble
*Bonus:  If you have trouble trying to match everything together, or if you're trying to pull something together quickly, this is super easy.  All the pictures already "go" together, just cut, paste, and hang!
- Anything an internet search has to offer, printed on photo paper and cut out
*Bonus:  This gives great options for obscure or very specific topics

For texture and a more handmade look:
- Napkins or placemats of interesting textures or patterns
- Discount silk florals from JoAnn's or Michaels
- Interesting little bowls or trinkets
*Make sure you've considered appropriate adhesive for trinkets and whatnot.  They make a great addition to a handmade art piece, but it doesn't do you any good if it falls apart a month after you hang it up. 

Here's a couple of my art projects, photographed with a crappy camera phone in terrible light :)




That's all for tonight :)  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment