Monday, August 30, 2010

A rose by any other name...

No crafting tonight...I'm too busy having a vocab moment.  lol :) 

So I learned today that "I just got hit by a bus" feeling you get when you wake up suddenly (or even not so suddenly) from a nap has an actual, scientific NAME.  (I'm aware that it's probably weird how excited I get about discovering that things have a proper name).  It's called sleep inertia.  It really makes perfect sense.  An object at rest tends to stay at rest, and all that.  That said, it'll probably still be "hit by a bus" to me, for the most part.  But I'll take secret pleasure in remembering that I know the actual name too. 

Some other things that there are catch words or other fancy words to describe:

1) Crazy spell checker (i.e. spell check replacing words it thinks are spelled wrong with completely incorrect/inappropriate words).     Catchword:  The Cupertino Effect

2) Asking instead of telling (i.e.  "Would you pass the peas?" instead of "Pass the peas.").  Catchword:  Whimperative

3) Doodles.  Catchword:  Zentangles  (if you're thinking it's ridiculous that there should even BE a catchword for doodling, I wholly agree.)

4) Slow and incompetent.  Another word:  Laggard

5) Committing a crime against yourself.  Actual word: Felo-de-se

6) Stare.  Another word:  Glout

7) Chilly or cold.  Another word:  Aguish

8)  Scandalous.  Another word:  Black-burning

9) A poisonous/toxic atmosphere.  Fancier Word:  Miasma  (oh yeah, any of you who went on our Wisconsin vacation...I DID just post that word in my blog...creeeeeeeeepy).

10) Happiness at the misfortune of others.  And one foreign language addition for good measure:  Schadenfreude

Anyway, that's all for tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment