Saturday, March 31, 2012

Apple Pie Oatmeal...

I finally got around to making it!  Woot!  So I found this recipe at Cooking with Jax and it just looked good.  I'd never cooked with steel cut oats before, and was somewhat curious at the difference.  It seems to me that they're mostly just a little heartier texture, and there is a little bit of a nuttiness to them (I didn't come up with the nuttiness part of that description on my own...I saw it on a website, but it's actually true too.  lol).  Anyway, it was easy, and smelled delicious when I woke up to the completed dish in the morning.  I think it'll reheat okay, since the texture is firmer than rolled oats.  I would recommend that you actually do stir it every hour, and do not oversleep if you're doing this overnight.  I may have hit the snooze button for about an hour extra (whoops) and burned the edges a little bit.  Still good though :)  Also, I forgot to take an ingredient picture, so sorry about that...rest assured, it's not too many ingredients.

Apple Pie Oatmeal
6 servings - 159 calories each

Ingredients:
1 c. steel cut oats
3 diced apples
1 c. apple juice
3 c. water
1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon, to taste



















Directions: 
Put all ingredients in the slow cooker, and cook 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low till it reaches the consistency you like.  (That's it!)



















I discovered that if I keep doing these little breakfast-y dishes that tend to be smaller, I should probably get some new gladware for the job.  I used just whatever little dishes I had leftover today, but it's going to make stacking the freezer an issue, since they're all different and won't stack together as easily as if they're all the same.  Anyway, it's a total of six servings for 159 calories each :)

1 comment:

  1. seriously looks INCREDIBLE! i love your blog! you do all the hard work for me- find the good, REALISTIC recipes...and then try them out for me so I know if i could pull it off in my kitchen! please keep posting! loving it!!!!

    ReplyDelete