Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chicken Caesar Sandwiches...

I love chicken caesar salads.  However, the problem with salads when you're cooking for a month at a time, is that romaine lettuce lasts for MAYBE a week, if you're lucky.  So when I saw this recipe on The Girl Who Ate Everything it intrigued me.  First off, it's intended to be served hot, which is new.  And also, it was originally intended to be a slow cooker meal.  I was feeling majorly impatient this week, so I adapted it to be done on the stovetop instead of the crock pot, but if you're not in a time crunch, feel free to check out the original recipe at the link above to see how that changes cooking times, etc.  The original also calls for dark meat, but I'm not a dark meat girl, so I used white...whichever you want is fine :)  I went ahead and had a sandwich for lunch when I was done cooking it, because I hadn't had a chance to eat yet, and it was delicious.  I had it hot, but I'm sure it would be delicious cold too.  And putting a nice crisp piece of lettuce on top (for as long as you have crisp lettuce, anyway), would top it off great too.  Also, I had a brief memory lapse and forgot I was supposed to be taking pictures, so there's only two for this one...sorry! Without further ado, here's the recipe:

Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
6 Servings, 321 Calories Each

Ingredients:




- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. shredded parmesan
- 1/4 c. chopped parsley
- 1 c. Caesar dresing (I used Ken's Steakhouse Lite Creamy Caesar.  My absolute favorite is Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (not creamy)...but I thought the chicken may get dry in the reheating if I didn't switch to the creamy.)
- Pepper, to taste
- Buns


Directions:

I boiled my chicken breasts in salted water.  You could do them in a skillet if you wanted, but I think they stay a little more moist when you boil them, plus, I've found they're a little easier to shred when you're done.  Once chicken is done, set aside to cool, and empty pot of water.  Shred chicken with a fork and put back into pot.  Add parmesan, parsley, Caesar dressing, and pepper, and mix.  Turn heat on low till everything is warm and parmesan is starting to melt.  Serve hot or cold.

I'm having mine with an little Cutie's orange for a total of about 400 calories.  Oh, and a tip on the buns, if you keep them in the refrigerator on a wire rack, they'll last easily 3 weeks without getting stale.


No comments:

Post a Comment