Thursday, January 26, 2012

Homemade Pita Bread...

I figured as long as I had all the ingredients for this recipe, I'd give it a go.  It tastes right.  I think I rolled the dough too thick or didn't knead quite enough  or let it rise too long or something though (I did sort of lose track of time, since I was cleaning and doing errands in between), because they came out way too thick.  Either that, or I misinterpreted the explanation/photos on Under the High Chair where I found this recipe.  I got the impression they were light and hollow.  Either way, they taste really good with the hummus...I just need to cut them all in half to get them to an appropriate thickness...otherwise I feel like I've got a giant piece of crusty bread that I should be putting butter on or something.  Next time I'll roll them out thinner and knead more and see what happens :)  Here's the recipe:

Homemade Pita Bread

Ingredients:




- 1 T. yeast
- 1 1/4 c. warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3-3 1/2 c. flour


Directions:

Put the yeast and water in a bowl, and let yeast sit and dissolve in for about 5 minutes.  Add salt and 1 1/2 c. flour, and mix with the dough hook of an electric mixer.  Keep adding flour until it forms a solid mass that's not too sticky.  Knead for about 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.  Add more flour if it's too sticky to work with.  Put dough on a floured surface, cut into 6-10 pieces depending on the size of pita you want.  Form each piece into a ball, and then use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1/4 inch.  Let rest on floured surface for 30-40 minutes. 




Flip upside down onto baking sheet, and bake 10-15 minutes. 




As I said earlier, I'm having mine with the hummus I made :)






No comments:

Post a Comment