Friday, April 27, 2012

Chicken Pillows...

Weird name, huh?  I thought so too.  But the picture looked good, and there were rave reviews on Pinterest (oh, Pinterest...how I love thee), so I figured let's give it a try!  I found the original recipe at Chef in Training.  The original also has a recipe for a sauce to put on top, but since that doesn't lend well to reheating (things got soggy), I went ahead and skipped that.  If you're eating them right out of the oven though, definitely check out the link, because it sounds tasty :)  One thing I learned in the midst of this recipe...crescent rolls will hold WAY more filling than you would expect.  If you let them warm up just a tiny bit, they'll stretch like crazy, and you can fill them right up.  Initially, I didn't see how I could possibly fit all that filling into 8 crescents, but it was no problem at all.  Here's the recipe:

Chicken Pillows
8 servings, 335 calories each



















**I forgot to put eggs in the picture**

Ingredients

1 can crescent rolls
8 oz. package cream cheese
2-3 c. shredded chicken, cooked
1/4 c. butter
1 egg
Crushed crackers for breading (whatever you have...Club, Ritz, Saltines, etc.)



















Directions

Soften butter and cream cheese.  Stir together until creamy.  Add chicken (and seasonings, if desired) and stir. 



















Get two bowls prepared, the first with the egg and 2 T. water beaten togther, and the second with the crushed crackers in it.  Roll out crescents on a cookie sheet.  Stretch out the first crescent, put a large spoonful of filling in the center, and then fold the crescent in around it so the filling is fully enclosed.  Dip the top of the packet in the egg and then in the crackers and place in cookie sheet.  Repeat with the next 7 crescents.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.




I'm serving mine with Potatoes ala Boulangere for a total of 452 calories per serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment