Saturday, March 9, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Rolls...

I've been in a mood for Philly cheesesteaks lately.  I think I must've been watching a Diners, Drive-ins & Dives or something, cuz it's not something I usually crave.  At any rate, I sort of love using puff pastry...it used to scare me, but it's actually not too much of an ordeal to use once ya get down to it (and once you let it thaw appropriately...which I learned the hard way, the first couple of times).  Anyway, the original recipe on this one can be found at Pepperidge Farm.  The recipe called for "frozen sandwich steak", which I had no idea what that was, but I went to the store on a wing and a prayer, and low and behold, there it was, aptly labelled, right there in the freezer aisle...woot!  I did adjust the processes a little bit, cuz I'm lazy and like to save time :)  Anyway, here's the recipe:

Philly Cheesesteak Rolls
8 servings - 252 calories each

















Ingredients
1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1 lg. onion, diced
1-12oz. package frozen sandwich steak, thawed
8 slices American cheese
1 egg, beaten

















Directions
In a skillet, cook the steak and onion.  While that's cooking, open the sheets of puff pastry.  Cut sheets into quarters (the original recipe called for rolling out the sheets to a larger size, but I have terrible luck doing that, so I just made it work as is...it all turned out just fine without that extra work!)  Top each piece of puff pastry with meat and onion mixture, and then top that with a slice of cheese.  Fold pastry into a little packet (corner to corner), and seal edges.  Place on greased cookie sheet, seam side down, and brush with egg.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

















And that's it...don't they look good?  I'm excited to try them for lunch someday soon.  I'll let ya know how it turns out in the update in a couple weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment